KEYS TO SLEEPING LIKE A BABY
Sleep like your life depends on it!
REASONS WHY WE NEED ALL THAT SLEEP
Recharges the batteries.
Restores immune functions.
Facilitates tissue repair.
Restores hormonal balance and control.
Sleep is one of the most important functions that the human body needs to thrive in this crazy hectic life. It is also one of the first things people toss to the side when in a stressful situation. People who have a variety of illnesses, depression, anxiety, headaches and many more health issues tend to be those that do not get quality sleep.
If you find you're not getting enough hours of rest, or maybe the time sleeping isn't quality, it may be time to change a few of your daily routines. Here are some things you can do to help get a more restful sleep.
No caffeine after 4 pm.
Bed = Sleep, not work.
- The newest craze in the workforce today is working from home. If you are working from your bed, you may be losing quality rest. Consider moving your work to a desk, or at the kitchen table.
Keep your bedroom temperature below 70 degrees. Ideal temp is 67-69 degrees.
- Remove interruptions by using ear plugs, blackout blinds, total darkness eye masks, or my personal favorite....white noise while you sleep. I love "rain sounds" from Spotify.
Drink less water right before bedtime to reduce the number of bathroom runs.
Use essential oils to help calm your senses.
- Try Lavender, Roman Chamomile, Sandalwood and Cedar wood just to name a few.
No electronics in bed.
Wake up more peacefully using a different tool than your obnoxious alarm.
- Try "Sleep Cycle" or "Sleep Stream" by downloading it in the app world.
Wake up and sleep at the same time everyday.
- This means, prioritizing your day so that you can get to bed at a reasonable time. Failing to make your sleep a priority may be causing a plethora of other non related problems in your life.
Eat well-balanced meals and slow your carbohydrate intake the closer you get to bedtime.
Look at getting a new mattress.
- You've heard of the 8-year rule right? Most people hang on to their mattresses way too long, and as a result their bodies pay for it. Make sure to do your research here. There are many options to choose from and you want to make sure you're doing whats right for your body, and lets be honest...your pocket book.
- When all else fails, consider a sleep study. You may discover you have one or more sleep disorders that are only curable by using medications or other helpful remedies prescribed by your doctor.
Teitelbaum, Jacob. "Sleep: the foundation of getting well". From Fatigued to Fantastic. 3rd Edition. Published by the Penguin Group. 375 Hudson Street, New York 10014. 2007.
DiClementi, Anthony. "Sleep". The Biohacking Guide to Upgraded Energy and Focus. Published by Biohacking Secrets. 2016.